One of your employees has died, and your partner is asking you whether he will be able to receive a widow's pension and the amount of the pension. Is it possible to combine the pension and an employed job?
The deceased worker's partner is also working, so he has asked whether he will be able to receive the widow's/widower's pension. Write this down. Well, tell her that this pension is compatible with any income from work, so she will be able to receive it as long as the deceased has paid contributions for the minimum period stipulated by law.
How much you will receive
Entitlement. For the right to receive the widow's/widower's pension to arise, the deceased should meet, at the time of death, one of the following requirements:

  • If you were registered at that time, you should have a contribution period of 500 days within the previous five years. Note. If the death had occurred as a result of an accident - whether or not it was an accident at work - it would not be necessary to prove this minimum contribution period.
  • If you were not registered, you must prove that you have paid contributions for a period of 15 years.

Regulatory base. In the case of an active worker, the regulatory base for calculating the pension is the quotient of dividing by 28 the sum of the contribution bases during an uninterrupted period of 24 calendar months chosen by the beneficiary within the 15 years immediately preceding the month prior to the qualifying event. Note. If the death had occurred as a result of an accident at work or an occupational disease, the regulatory base would be calculated according to the wages actually received in the previous year, including overtime.
Amount. The amount of the pension is generally 52% of the regulatory base. However, this percentage is increased to 70% if the beneficiary has family responsibilities, or when the widow's pension is the main source of income.
Other aspects
Unmarried partners. The status of unmarried partner is accredited by means of a certificate of registration in the specific registers existing in the autonomous communities or town councils, or by means of a public document stating the constitution of the said unmarried partner. Attention! In any case, it will be necessary to prove stable, well-known and uninterrupted cohabitation during the five years prior to death, by providing a certificate of census registration issued by the local council.
The retirement pension is compatible with other income. Its amount is 52% of the regulatory base, although it rises to 70% in the event of family burdens or absence of other income.